Email: Click to Mail
Phone: (805) 893-8510
Fax: (805) 893-4731
Office Location: 3329 Engineering II
Address: L. Gary Leal,
Chemical Engineering Dept.
Mail Code 5080
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5080 USA
Lab Phone: (805) 893-8609
Name: Marjorie Hayes
Email: Click to Mail
Phone: (805) 893-3200
Fax: (805) 893-5458
BS: Chemical Engineering, University of Washington (1965)
MS: Chemical Engineering, Stanford University (1968)
PhD: Chemical Engineering, Stanford University (1969)
American Academy of Arts and Sciences, elected 2011
University, November 2009.
Midwest Mechanics Speaker (10 universities) 2011
28th Annual Blue-Green Speaker, Depts. of Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan and Michigan State
Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, elected 2009.
W.N. Lacey Lecturer in Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, April 2008.
Distinguished Scholar Lecturer, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Arizona State Univ., October 2006.
Pirkey Lectureship in Chemical Engineering, Univ. of Texas, April 2006.
David M. Mason Lecturer, Dept. Chem. Eng., Stanford University, May 2004.
Fluid Dynamics Prize, American Physical Society, November 2002.
NCE Cullimore Memorial Lecturer, NJIT, October 2001
Highly Cited Researchers, Original Member, 100 Most Highly Cited Researchers in Engineering, ISI Thompson Scientific, 2001.
Bingham Medal, The Society of Rheology, American Institute of Physics, March 2001.
Distinguished Alumni Award, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, 2000.
George K. Batchelor Lecturer in Fluid Mechanics, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge, U.K., May, 2000.
Rutgers Collaboratus X Lecturer, Dept. of Chem. and Biochemical Eng., Rutgers University, April, 2000.
NASA Group Achievement Award for MSL-1 Project Team to L.G. Leal, June 30, 1999
Julian C. Smith Lecturer, School of Chemical Engineering Cornell University April 1996.
Rothschild Visiting Professor, Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematics, University of Cambridge, U. K., January to March, 1996.
Distinguished Lecturer, Dept. of Chemical Engineering University of Toronto, January 1995.
Robert Pigford Lecturer, University of Delaware, April 1994.
William H. Walker Award for Excellence in Contributions to Chemical Engineering Literature, AIChE 1993.
Texas Distinguished Faculty Lecturer, University of Texas-Austin, March 1993.
Reilly Memorial Lectureship in Chemical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, April 1992.
Stanley Katz Memorial Lectureship in Chemical Engineering, Dept. of Chem. Eng., City College of the City University of New York, 1991.
Stanley Corrsin Lectureship in Fluid Mechanics, Dept. of Chem. Eng., The Johns Hopkins University, 1990.
Member of the National Academy of Engineering (elected 1987).
Chevron Distinguished Professor of Chem. Engineering, Caltech, April 1986 - July 1989.
Fellow of the American Physical Society, 1984.
Allan Colburn Award - National AIChE, 1978.
Allan Colburn Memorial Lectureship, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, 1978.
Technical Achievement Award, AIChE - Southern California Section, 1978.
John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellow, 1976.
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation Teacher-Scholar Grant, 1975.
Member of Phi Beta Kappa, Tau Beta Pi, Phi Sigma Upsilon.
My research is currently focused on the dynamics of complex fluids, such as polymeric liquids, emulsions, foams, polymer blends, and liquid crystalline polymers(LCPs). Much of this is related to the coupling between the influence of flow on the microstructure of these materials, and hence on the macroscopic material properties. Within this broad framework, we are working on: coalescence phenomena; the dynamics of thin liquid films and the control of the stability of such films due to additives such as copolymer surfactants, and nano- or micro-particles; the flow behavior of LCPs, including the formation of disclinations; and the dynamics of entangled polymers. Our tools encompass a spectrum of experimental methods (including several that are unique to our laboratory), as well as theoretical methods based primarily on large-scale computational studies.
Online Publication List
271. "Flow Induced Coalescence in Concentrated Systems," Sukhvinder Kaur and L. G. Leal, Chapter in “Rheology”(ISBN 979-953-307-367-4) edited by Juan de Vicente, Intech (Open Access) Publishers (2011).
270. "Multiscale Modeling with Smoothed Dissipative Particle Dynamics," P.M. Kulkarni, C.-C. Fu, M.S. Shell and L.G. Leal . submitted to J. Chemical Physics (2011).
269. "Comparison of interfacial properties of polymer-coated gold nanoparticles with block copolymer," Yanli Gong, Se Gyu Jang, Nathaniel Lynd, Kato Killops, E.J. Kramer, C.J. Hawker and L.G. Leal, submitted to Langmuir.
268. "Role of Symmetric Grafting Copolymer on the Suppression of Drop Coalescence," Y. Gong and L.G. Leal, accepted by the J. Rheology (2011).
267. "The Effect of Interfacial Slip on the Rheology of a Dilute Emulsion of Drops for Small Capillary Numbers," A. Ramachandran and L.G.Leal, to be submitted to the Journal of Rheology.
266. "The Effect of Interfacial Slip on the Coalesence of Drops Undergoing a Head-on Collision," A. Ramachandran, K. Tsiglifis, A. Roy and L. G. Leal, to be submitted to the J. Fluid Mechanics.
265. "The Effect of Interfacial Slip on the Dynamics of a Drop in Flow: Part 1. Stretching, Relaxation and Breakup," A. Ramachandran, K. Tsiglifis, A. Roy and L. G. Leal, accepted by J. Rheology (2011).
264. "Properties and Solution Strategies for Mixed Type Boundary Integral Equations in Creeping Flow Problems," A. Ramachandran, K. Tsiglifis and L. G. Leal, accepted by J. Computational Physics (2011).
263. "A Theoretical Analysis of the Equilibrium Configurations of a Bilayer Patch Around a Particle," Arun Ramachandran, Jacob Israelachvili and L. Gary :Leal, submitted to Biophysical Journal (2010).
262. "Adhesive Interactions Between Vesicles in the Strong Adhesion Limit," Arun Ramachandran, Travers H. Anderson, L. Gary Leal and Jacob N. Israelachvili, Langmuir, 27, 59-73 (2011).
261. "Microfabricated Deflection Tensiometers for Insoluble Surfactants," Zachary A. Zell, SiYoung Q. Choi, L. Gary Leal, and Todd M. Squires, Applied Physics Letters, 97,133505, (2010).
260. "A Dilution Technique to Determine the Hydrodynamics Volume Fraction of a Vesicle Suspension," Mansi Seth, Arun Ramachandran and L. Gary Leal, Langmuir, 26, 15169-15176, (2010).
259. "A Scaling Theory for the Hydrodynamic Interaction Between a Pair of Vesicles or Capsules," Arun Ramachandran and L. Gary Leal, Physics of Fluids, 22, 091702 (2010).
258. "Stress Relaxation of Polymer Combs with Short Branches," K.M. Kirkwood, L.G. Leal, D. Vlassopoulos, P. Driva and N. Hadjichristidis, Macromolecules, 42, 9592-9608 (2009).
257. Advanced Transport Phenomena, Fluid Mechanics and Convective Transport Processes (Paperback Edition; Revised), Cambridge Series in Chemical Engineering, Cambridge University Press, New York (2010).
255. "Drop Deformation and Breakup in Concentrated Emulsions," Sukhvinder Kaur and L. Gary Leal, J. Rheology, 54, 981-1009 (2010).
254. "3-D Stability of a Thin Film Between Two Approaching Drops," Sukhvinder Kaur and L. Gary Leal, Physics of Fluids, 21, 072101 (17 pages) (2009)
253. "Effect of Multiple Branch Points on Nonlinear Rheology," Keith M. Kirkwood, Dimitris Vlassopoulos, L. Gary Leal, Proceedings of the XVth International Congress of Rheology, Monterey California, August 2008.
252. "Deformation of a Viscoelastic Drop in Planar Extensional Flows of a Newtonian Fluid," Adam S. Hsu and L. Gary Leal, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 160, 176-180 (2009).
251. "The Nonlinear Response of Entangled Star Polymers to Startup of Shear Flow," Amy K. Tezel, James P. Oberhauser, Richard S. Graham, Kamakshi Jagannathan, T.C.B McLeish and L. Gary Leal, J. Rheology, 53, 1193-1214 (2009).
250. "Nonlinear Stress Relaxation of Comb Polymers," M. Kapnistos, K. M. Kirkwood, J. Ramirez,, D. Vlassopoulos and L. G. Leal, J. Rheology, 53, 1133-1153 (2009).
249. "Drop-size Effects on Coalescence of Two Equal-Size Drops in a Head-on Collision," Adam S. Hsu, Anshuman Roy and L. Gary Leal, J. Rheology, 52, 1291-1310 (2008).
248. "Three-dimensional Shear-Driven Dynamics of Polydomain Textures and Disclination Loops in Liquid Crystalline Polymers," D.H. Klein, L.G. Leal, C.J. Garcia-Cervera and H.D. Ceniceros, J. Rheology, 52, 837-863 (2008).
247. "Viscous Coalescence of Expanding Low-Viscosity Drops; the Dueling Drops Experiment," Marcos Borrell and L.Gary Leal, J. Colloid and Interface Science, 319, 263-269 (2008).
246. "Interfacial Activity of Polymer-Coated Gold Nanoparticles," Marcos Borrell and L. Gary Leal, Langmuir, 23, 12497-12502 (2007).
245. "The Mechanism of Surfactant Effects on Drop Coalescence." Bing Dai and L. Gary Leal, Physics of Fluids, 20, pp.040804-1-13 (2008).
244. "Disjoining Pressure for Non-Uniform Thin Films," Bing Dai, L. Gary Leal and Antonio Redondo, Physical Review E, 78, 061602 (2008). (also reproduced in December 22, 2008 issue of Virtual J. Nanoscale Science & Technology)
243. Advanced Transport Phenomena: Fluid Mechanics and Convective Transport Processes, L.G. Leal, Cambridge University Press, New York (2007).
242. Transient surface patterns during adhesion and coalescence of thin liquid films," Hongbo Zeng, Boxin Zhao, Yu Tian, Matthew Tirrell, L. Gary Leal and Jacob N. Israelachvili, Soft Matter, 1, 88-93 (2007).
241. "Coalescence of Two Equal-sized Deformable Drops in an Axisymmetric Flow," Y. Yoon, F. Baldessari, H.D. Ceniceros and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids., 19 (10): Art. No. 102102 (24 pages), (2007).
240. "Shear Rheology of Asymmetric Star Polymers," Amy K. Tezel and L. Gary Leal, Macromolecules, 39(13); 4605-4614 (2006).
239. "An experimental investigation of the effects of copolymer surfactants on flow-induced coalescence of drops," Y. Yoon, A Hsu and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids, 19, Art. No. 023102 (16 pages), (2007).
238. "Ericksen number and Deborah number cascade predictions of a model for liquid crystalline polymers for simple shear flow," D.H. Klein, C.J. Garcia-Cervera, H.D. Ceniceros, and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids, 19, 023101 (19 pages) (2007).
237. "Studies of Droplet Coalescence and Breakup with Application to Polymer Blending," L.G. Leal, in Advances In Rheoogy and Its Applications (ed. Y. Luo, Q. Rao and Y. Xu), 1-4 (2005); also J. Central South University of Technology, 14: 1-5 Suppl. 1 (2007).
236. "Linear rheology of architecturally complex macromolecules: Comb polymers with linear backbones," M. Kapnistos, D. Vlassopoulos, J. Roovers, and L.G. Leal, Macromolecules, 38, 7852-7862 (2005).
235. "Linear Stability of a Draining Film Squeezed Between Two Approaching Droplets," F. Baldessari, G.M. Homsy and L.G. Leal, J. Colloid and Interface Science, 307, 188-202 (2007).
234. "Two touching spherical drops in uniaxial extensional flow: Analytic solutions to the creeping flow proble," F. Baldessari and L.G. Leal, J. Colloid and Interface Sci., 289, 262-270 (2005).
233. "Computational Studies of the Shear Flow Behaviour of a Model for Nematic Liquid Crystalline Polymers," D.H. Klein, C. Garcia-Cervera, H.D. Ceniceros and L.G. Leal, ANZIAM Journal, 46, C210-C244 (2005).
232. "Viscosity ratio effects on the coalescence of two equal-sized drops in a two-dimensional linear flow," Y. Yoon, M. Borrell and L.G. Leal, J. Fluid Mechanics, 525, 355-379 (2005).
231. "Rheo-optical evidence for the existence of CCR in an entangled 4-arm star," A.K. Tezel, L.G. Leal and T.C.B. McLeish, Macromolecules, 38, 1451-1455 (2005).
230. "The Effect of Overall Drop Deformation on Flow Induced Coalescence at Low Capillary Numbers," F. Baldessari and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids, 18, 013602-1 -013602-20 (2006).
229. "Rheo-optical studies of entangled polymer solutions in reversing step strain rate and other transient shear flows," J.P. Oberhauser, K.Q. Pham and L.G. Leal, J. Rheology 48, 1229-1249 (2004).
228. "Experimental Analysis of the Coalescence Process via Head-on Collisions in a Time-Dependent Flow," Marcos Borrell, Y. Yoon and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids. 16, 3945-3954 (2004)
227. "Flow Induced Coalescence of Drops in a Viscous Fluid (Fluid Dynamics Prize Lecture)," L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids 16, 1833-1851(2004).
226. "Texture evolution of sheared LCPs: Numerical predictions of roll-cells instability, director turbulence and striped texture with the molecular model," G. Sgalari, L.G. Leal, and E. Meiburg, J. Rheology, 47, 1417-1444 (2003).
225. "Study of molecular weight effects on coalescence: interface slip layer," C.C. Park, F. Baldessari, L.G. Leal, Journal of Rheology, 47, 911-42 (2003).
224. "On the Definitions of Entanglement Spacing and Time Constants in the Tube Model," R.G. Larson, T. Sridhar, L.G. Leal, G.H. McKinley, A.E. Likhtman and T.C.B. McLeish, Journal of Rheology 47(3), 809-818 (2003).
223. "The Effect of Compatibilizer on the Coalescence of Two Drops in Flow," J.W. Ha, Yosang Yoon and L.G. Leal, Physics of Fluids, 15, 849-867 (2003).