Join Our Top-Ranked Chemical Engineering Graduate Program
The Chemical Engineering graduate program at UC Santa Barbara is truly one of the best in the world. Our prestigious graduate program has been ranked #2 in the world by the most recent National Research Council rankings and #5 in the nation by US News and World Report (2016) among public institutions. Our graduate researchers and faculty make a tremendous impact in a diverse range of fields.
The Department of Chemical Engineering offers a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Chemical Engineering, with an emphasis on preparing students for future careers in research. Course and research requirements stress a broadly-based education in the fundamentals of chemical engineering, as well as materials science and bioengineering. Areas of research specialization include:
- Materials & Interfaces (polymers, nanostructured materials, complex fluids and colloids, transport phenomena, forces and rheology, and characterization tools)
- Bioengineering (nanomedicine, protein & cellular engineering, biochemical engineering, systems biology)
- Energy & Sustainability (catalysis, energy conversion, fuels and chemicals)
- Modeling, Theory & Simulation (molecular thermodynamics, kinetic phenomena, transport and interfaces, systems enginering, and multiscale simulations)
The concentration of research activity in these fields reflects a deliberately chosen philosophy of emphasizing interdisciplinary activities that have broad technological and societal impact. Our graduates find employment in both industry and academia. The typical preparation for graduate studies is an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering and related fields. With strong justification and motivation, applicants will also be considered from the sciences, mathematics, and other engineering disciplines.
- Chemical Engineering, PhD
- Optional emphases in Bioengineering and in Computational Science and Engineering
Enrollment and Degrees
Doctoral Alumni Employment Data:
Degrees Granted 2015-16
- Doctorate: 11
Enrollment as of Fall 2016
- PhD Students: 85
- International Students: 26%
- Female: 24%
- Male: 76%
The Department of Chemical Engineering features an outstanding, world-renowned faculty considered to be leaders in their respective areas of specialization. Professors in our department also have joint appointments, write joint grant proposals, and share students, post-docs, visitors, and facilities. Many graduate courses are cross-listed, both across departments and between undergraduate and graduate students. We believe that our collaborative spirit is one of the reasons UCSB is recognized as one of the top Chemical Engineering programs in the country.
The department invites applications from determined and innovation-minded students. It is our experience that students are drawn towards UCSB's tradition of open collaboration and interdisciplinary research. More information can be found at our Admissions page.